Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 AM
dgmoby

I'm new to appliqué, and am just learning. I've been trying out different techniques and searching for tutorials to help me. Anyone interested in me posting some of the ones I find?

I started out with a project that is like 3 pictures of flowers in vases, all separate blocks. The first one is a starter level, the second one intermediate, and the third one quite a bit harder. Then you sew all 3 together for a wall-hanging. The picture is lovely...the applique...well, I'm learning :) I'm on the second picture, and have restarted 3 times :(

In addition, I have a wall-hanging of TX with some cute stuff (hat, boots, coyote) around it that is a fusible machine appliqué. So I've got both projects going on at once (one for the TV, the other for the sewing room) and am learning and making lots of mistakes. <grin>

On the picture project, I can't seem to get flower petal edges that ripple to look nice. I've tried freezer paper/starch, needle turn, back basting and none of them are great. I don't know how to get the petal edge ripples to look good as I'm stitching them down. They seem to bulk up or get too pointy instead of being flowing curves. It's a hump, dip, hump, dip, hump on a small piece of fabric, maybe 1" wide. Then it's combined with 5 others petals with the same edging to create the flower. Any hints here, I would really appreciate...I just can't seem to get it!

Sorry to be so long-winded...I just have so much to say, and learn, on this topic :)

Have a wonderful day!
Debbie in Austin