Thread: Migraine meds
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 AM
donnajean

I understand your predicament. I am 67 & have a very long history of very bad headaches. I used to end up in the emergency room several times a year. Over the years they tried all the new drugs on me. Even read the other day that one of drugs they tried on me is now considered in the LSD category.

My headaches were not exactly true migranes, but bad enough to make you suicidal when no one could help. I did get better when I retired, so I'm sure your stress level is not helping at this time. Some of the things I learned are. Excedrin helps me especially if I take it as soon as I feel the heacache coming on. Deap breaths through the nose help to get the circulation in the brain going again. I heard on the news the other day that they were using oxygen as headache remedy. Makes sense as when I wake up with a headache the 1st thing I have to force myself to do is to get the deep breathing going. When your in severe pain sometimes you forget about the breathing.

In addition to this, I drink a lot more water since I retired from teaching. I think that helps. They say a lot of headaches are caused by dehydration.

I wish you well & I'm glad you have quilting to help keep you calm.
Originally Posted by leatheflea
Well I went to the doc, he's an ass by the way. I told him I didn't want a maintenace drug and he refused to help me till I said I would take the prescription. Then he finally gave me Imetrex and something else thats a maintence drug that I cant afford to fill. I recently lost my job and my insurance has expired. So its back to home remedies. My pop called the other day and told me he read in one of his many books that 1 oz of peppermint in 9 oz of everclear, dap on forehead and temples and back of the neck. Anyone ever tried it? I figure if nothing else I could get rid of the migraine by drinking the homemade peppermint schnopps...LOL.
The headaches are daily now, not migraines just headaches, eyes are always sensitive to light. Sinuses burn like I've sprayed something up my nose. The doc just wouldn't listen. I occasionally get nosebleeds about one every other week or so, sometimes more frequent. Someone here mentioned feverfew but I'm leary of it because of my nosebleeds. I just needed to vent, maybe it will relieve some of the pressure in my head..HAHA. Thanks for listening and let me know if any of you have tried the mixture.