View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 AM
raptureready

Originally Posted by 0tis
Hi everyone,

I have been quilting for the last year and have made at least 10 projects - my question is does binding ever get easier? I am never very happy with the final binding. Most times when I stitch on the front - thats ok - but when I hand stitch to the back - it's not the same size - I usually cut binding at 2 1/2 inches then press in half for double binding - it will look like 1/4" or 1/2" but when I turn it to the back for hand sewing - the edge maybe less than 1/4". Surprisingly enough, I don't have problems with the mitered corners.
Are you saying the binding isn't the same size (uneven) or the stitches aren't the same size? If it's the stitches, it just takes practice. I use a blind stitch or is it a hem stitch? I never remember but it's where the thread between the stitches is inside the binding fold. I try to keep the space between the stitches as close to 3/8" as possible but I don't always succeed. I also try to make my stitches that connect it to the backing as small and inconspicuous as possible. Oh, if you're doing curves make sure you cut the binding on the bias.