Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Ditter43

I have been there...was on some very heavy duty pain meds for about two years...I decided I wanted to quit taking so much narcotic medication. I was taking it for several ruptured discs. I also have fibromyalgia and have tried everything that came along to get some relief. I tried Lyrica first but it caused problems. I started on 30 mg. of Cymbalta and then up to 60mg. It is the best thing I have found so far. I still have flareups, but not as often and usually not as bad.
Taking it one night is unlikely to have had any effect. It takes time to get a level in your blood. Once you build up a level, don't stop taking it suddenly. You will need to be weaned off slowly to avoid some nasty side effects.
It doesn't make me sleepy, I wish it did as sleep is a big problem for me too.The only effect I have is reduction of symptoms.
As Borntosew said, everybody responds to medication differently. It will take a couple of weeks before you have a constant level. Your doctor may be planning to start you on the lower dose then up the dose to 60mg. which is the usual therapeutic amount.
I salute you and your doctor for getting off the painkillers. One of the reasons I wanted to stop them; I was afraid they might mask symptoms if I developed another problem. There are times when I wish I had something strong, but I have learned to get through those times and feel I am better off this way.
It is difficult to live with constant pain but if you can find something besides narcotics that will work for you, you will be better off for it. I hope once you reach therapeutic levels you find it works well for you! :thumbup: :D :D