View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
catrancher

Originally Posted by Tippy
I used to do that, but later read that the materials for their nests should be waterproof so they stay dry when it rains.. I was worried I was doing them a disservice.. Guess I should do some more research as I generate lots of snippits and would love to see them put to good use.
Hm. I wonder about that. I'm sure birds pick up feathers and stuff they find on the ground. I doubt everything they put in their nests is waterproof. Maybe that's the solution. If they're using sticks and other stuff, a few threads shouldn't weaken the nest.

I took a behavioral psychology class in college. I learned about a certain variety of bird where the male builds a sort of house to impress the females. They've been known to use the tops of Bic pens. And if the female comes along and doesn't like the house, she tears it apart. So there!

I think the females of many varieties of birds choose their mates depending on how well they build their nest. A lot of energy goes into producing an egg and a chick. She wants a good man. Don't we all?