View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 07:50 PM
MNM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Hi everyone,

I have been quilting for the last year and have made at least 10 projects - my question is does binding ever get easier? I am never very happy with the final binding. Most times when I stitch on the front - thats ok - but when I hand stitch to the back - it's not the same size - I usually cut binding at 2 1/2 inches then press in half for double binding - it will look like 1/4" or 1/2" but when I turn it to the back for hand sewing - the edge maybe less than 1/4". Surprisingly enough, I don't have problems with the mitered corners.
My quilting teacher gave us a formula for figuring out the width you will need for a double binding. 6 times your width + 1/4."
If you are using a 1/2 in binding you will cut fabric strips 3 inches + 1/4 ". Press the strip in half. Then use a 1/2 inch seam.
If you want an inch wide binding cut your strips 6 inches +1/4" fold in half and press and your seam will be 1 inch wide. You will have a beautiful look on the front of the quilt and when you turn it over to the back side you can hand stitch it or machine stitch it. I prefer hand stitching It has always worked out well for me.
MNM