View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Do you like the IDT? Do you do any FMQ on this machine? Sounds like you like fine for piecing.
I just realized that I have the 7550 and YES! The IDT is fabulous. The throat opening is just standard but I have SID'ed a Queen or two. Not sure about the FMQ coz I use a different machine for that. It has the front load bobbin and the bobbin case gets oiled. Also has a low-bobbin indicator that blinks but you can keep sewing to use up the bobbin thread.

It does a good job on the decorative stitches but I would recommend using stabilizer.

The lighting is not the best, but not bad either.

It's good needle up/down and tie off. Needle can be adjusted sideways too which works better than the 1/4" foot. (It lands in the middle of the feed dogs) No separate bobbin winder motor. Hm, I don't remember if there is a motor speed control.

I would recommend getting the throat plate for straight stitching or use a leader strip. It likes to eat the start of a block.

One thing I do not like about it is the foot pedal. Mine had to be fixed and even Pat took it apart. He says it uses a sliding contact which can give you a bit of a jerky movement. But I will keep my 7550 as my backup - foot pedal and all.

$500 seems a little high because Pfaff got rid of their 2056 inventory (and it has way more features) new for $999.

Hope this helps.