Thread: Disappointed
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Maride

You are growing as a quilter and as an artist. You are not satisfied anymore with someone telling you which fabrics to buy and what to do with it. I guess most of us get to that point, and the important part is that you recognize it. Many people get there but they don't realize it and continue to buy magazines and patterns because is what they have always done. Is now time to look at your stash and based on what you see, identify your style. There is always something new out there that will get your attention, but you decided that you liked it, you were not told by an editor that this is what you should like.

I like some fabrics lines, but I never get more than one or two fabrics. In my opinion, fabric lines are not contrasting enough. They are making them more and more way too similar and the pattern gets lost in the fabric print. All your hard work doesn't show. If I get busy fabrics, because some are real pretty, I tend to combine them with solids. I have become the fan #1 of black. It makes my quilts look finished and elegant regardless of how much fun the other fabrics are. Yes, lady bugs wearing hats and purses can make a real elegant quilt if combined with some black.

Is great to see quilters making their own choices. Still the patterns need to stay in business, but use them only as guidance. Use the pattern and select your own fabrics.