Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 AM
desertdebbe

I have been to both the regular and super JoAnn's. The super is quite a bit bigger and sells many items not sewing related. Each category of items are housed in different sections so they aren't all mixed together. I had no trouble finding the fabric section, which was laid out with lots of space. The regular store is so cramped for space this was a refreshing change.

My local Walmart still sells fabric. I have noticed over the last 9 months or so that the quality of a lot of the merchandise in the store (not just fabric) has gone way down. I like low prices but not low quality.
Since the fabric/craft dept. takes at least 2 employees and usually 3 to keep it running that is more than other depts. require. They are all about profit and 1 cent means a lot to them when purchasing from companies. Having more employees there and making less profit than other depts. has caused them to get rid of the fabrics. I told them I never buy the $1/yd fabric as it is of "unknown origin" I have no problem spending $5/yd and if they get better quality and raise the price some sewers will
still come. They've allowed some stores to still sell it but ultimetly it will be gone from all of them. Enjoy it while you can (if you still can)