Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello All!!!

I havent been in the shop that much for trying to keep up with the customers and their machines here. But I tell you what I think I might have met my match!!

I am restoring a members 66-1 and the irons that were painted at sometime in their lives white. And the paint that they used is some type of household paint that is damn near indestructible! :shock:

I took the treadle irons over to my buddies shop and all he does is sand blast and powder coat parts and things. He called and told me that he didnt know what kind of paint that was on it but it was not coming off. So I picked them up and now I am using Aircraft paint stripper and a wire brush, it is working but oh so slow. I have to go get another gallon of the stuff so I can finish the irons up so I can media blast them and then start painting.

Everyone is laughing because they said what ever paint that was used on that machine would be here after a nuclear blast.

Billy
Did you try a lye bath Billy? Get a pound of pure lye (you can buy it online at soap making supply sites) and mix it in COLD water in a big tub. Put the water in first, then slowly add the lye to avoid splashing. Put your parts and pieces in there and let em soak. As long as you need to....something in the lye keeps the metal from rusting...I use a lye bath often for my cast iron cookware that I buy gunked up, clean and reseason.... works like a charm and I PROMISE it won't hurt the metal. Just make sure you wear goggles to protect your eyes from splashes, and rubber gloves....lye is wicked mean stuff to be sure!!