Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 AM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by Homespun
Originally Posted by Ybridgegal
Reading thru the posts the only thing I didn't see is to be sure you use the WHITE glue sticks and not the colored ones. The dye in the colored ones will distort the fabric and if you accidentally go over the quarter inch you may not be happy with the results. When Walmart had the back to school area all of the glue sticks were colored....buyer beware. I do use it for applique..works great for holding things in place and no oweeees.
I read the earlier reply about using glue sticks. I was going to Wally anyway so picked up 6 glue sticks--25 cents for two--they were the purple ones and I started using them to glue down my WIP -- the Nativity scene -- then I read this one and I freaked!!!! Oh, no, have I ruined all my work? I check--looks ok-- so continued on. It is laying on my kitchen table waiting for the black lead bias tape to arrive. It looks fine. ???
No problem for me! I've been using the purple ones for years. I've never heard anything bad about them. I'd think the only potential problem would be if you didn't wash it out, and left it for a very long time - like years. I use an iron to dry it a lot of times, so there's no problem with the heat. Maybe the person who had the problem will explain further. But, like the blue markers which work very well - unless you iron them or don't WASH them out, it may be something specific that happened. Hope this helps put your mind at ease :)

BTW - one of my favorites, which I haven't seen listed, is the blue washout marker.

I use cheap white chalk (less binders than more expensive white chalk) for marking seams on the longarm and for quick marks at the sewing machine.

I also love my Havel's Seam Ripper (it's a blade like the surgeons use). Makes quick use of those unneeded seams! I even show made a utube video showing how to use it on the longarm for my HQ friends. It's my favorite go-to tool...that and my little squeeze snippers :)

Debbie in Austin