View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 AM
2ursula

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by tcnmom
When is the price increase coming?
It's trickling in now. A lot of Hancocks fabric is now $11 and up.

You know how quilts can be dated due to some of the circumstances going on in the world, certain fabrics/colors weren't available during some wars, etc.? Well we as quilters may have to shift away from the 100% and become really creative in our fabric choices. A hundred or two hundred years down the road Quiltologists will look at the quilts of 2012 and say, "We can tell this was quilted between 2010 and 2015 because there was a cotton shortage which caused prices to skyrocket."
But as a farmer's daughter I can tell you this: If the prices of cotton skyrocket the farmers will plant more of it.
The only Hancock store or fabric store left near me (in mid-town Atlanta, GA with more than 4 Million people!) not only increased prices, they try to sell their old, old, old stocks for hugely inflated prices ($9.00 for material that's not fit for anything but maybe a night gown for a color-blind person!)

You may be happy to know that the store is empty and so is the Michael's craft store next door. Obviously, I am not the only person angry over the rip-off.

People are smart, smarter than the store managers. (I like seeing people reacting smartly to the abusive practices, I like it a lot!)

I bought 1/2 a yard of an accent material on sale because I needed exactly that amount of that fabric. I did not browse.

It's a good thing I have built my stash. Right now I will get a few more smaller needed items online and on sale. That's going to be it for many years.

People will charge what the market will bear.
Let's not bear it.