View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 AM
kellen46

You did not say how you were setting up to do the free motion. I struggled for years until I figured this out. First I lower the presser foot pressure to zero. I have invested in a free motion slider, [cost is about $15) which is a Teflon sheet that goes down on the sewing bed, it makes the quilt slide over the sewing bed so reduces drag. I got some latex palm gardening gloves from the box store. It helps me keep a grip on the fabric. I make sure my sandwich is well basted, I use safety pins. But most of all, practice, practice, practice. I started on small things, bags, pot holders etc. I also do the stitch in the ditch and if you use a gently curved pattern like a cable you can do it with a straight stitch. Also no matter what free motion or stitch in the ditch start in the middle and work to the edge, reverse the quilt and again start in the middle and go to the other edge. That way you never have more than half the quilt under the harp. Also if you have a machine that sits on a table and you have a quilt dropping off the sides of the machine bed the drag will make things harder. If you don't have a set up to make a flat surface then work on some way you can. You would not think that would make a difference but it really does....gravity is a b***h