View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 AM
shellyp

After making my first quilt I thought about entering it in next years state fair. I thought it would be fun. But I am realistic and wanted to scope things out this year first. No sense entering and totally embarrassing myself. So this weekend I went to check out this years entries. They had a big room full of quilts that weren't marked very well. They have several different categories and I didn't know which was the 'my first quilt' ones. Almost all the quilts were big. Double or bigger! Some my sister thought were bigger than a California king. Once we were done there we went back downstairs and found a room with the winners in it. This were I get confused. We spotted the 'my first quilt' winner. It was spectacular! :shock: I was in total shock...someone on their first try out made a queen size, with pieced stars and flower applique. I would never have dreamed to do something so elaborate on my first quilt. I'll post pics tomorrow. My sister doesn't believe that it was this persons first quilt at all. It was just to perfect. I think the only way was if it was someone who done alot of other sewing, and done applique on other things before, but this was the first 'quilt' they made. Then I started wondering....is it 'my first quilt I ever made' or 'my first quilt entered into the fair'? The rules really don't say. Just categories for 2 or more people and single person. On the up side, I think I could hold my own in the junior division. To bad I'm over 18. :lol:
What do you all think? Could someone make something like that the first time out? What did you make the first time? Ever see a contest and think that the entry was in the wrong category?