Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
JoAnnGC

I went to Catholic parochial schools from Kindergarten through 12th grade from 1956 to 1970 (a long time ago). Back then we made our First Holy Communion at the end of 2nd grade. Children at the end of 2nd grade are at least 7 years old which was traditionally considered the "age of reason" meaning that at that point a child would know right from wrong and would be able to understand the catechism questions and answers regarding the teachings of the Church. The Sacrament of Holy Communion in the Catholic Church is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus, according to the Holy Bible, when he shared bread and wine with the Apostles at the Last Supper and said, "This is my body... This is my blood... Do this in remembrance of me." When Catholics receive Communion we believe that through the miracle of faith we are receiving Jesus into our souls by sharing the transformed bread and wine. The word communion means to come together so we are coming together with God and with the other communicants. This is just in answer to the questions posed. Please do not feel that I am pushing my beliefs on anyone, this is just for general knowledge purposes.