View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
ktbb

The text seems to say that the photos and eagle feeding took place in the St. louis and Alton areas, however, I believe that they were taken in Homer, AK. Frannie from AK can you confirm this?

Assuming that I'm correct, the person who feeds the eagles was a woman labeled "the eagle lady", her real name is Jean Keene. She passed away this past year, however, for many, many years she has fed the eagles there during the winter by gathering handouts from local fishermen and businesses. The feedings do not occur in the summer. Her home was an old trailer which was surrounded by old stuff she collected and you can see part of her "yard" in the last photo - dead trees, fishing floats, etc. Her trailer sat in the middle of an RV camping area and in photo one you can see the timbers that mark the edges of some of the spots.

When she passed away, folks in Homer continued the feedings but I'm not sure whether they are still doing it or not since there was a lot of concern that by hand-feeding the eagles she was interfering with nature's schedule.

Here is one link that shows a little more, but you can find other videos by googling "eagle lady homer alaska".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYWno...eature=related