View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 AM
DebsShelties

Originally Posted by Edie
I have my handy dandy JoAnn's PVC pipe quilt frame which I got from my husband for my birthday right here in the front room, where I plan to watch the Vikings beat the pants off whoever they are playing and start quilting my Star Sampler by hand. (It is a dandy invention this quilt frame!)

Anyhow, I have an arthritic index finger, right hand, and I am having a lot of trouble with a running stitch. Is there any law that says I cannot use a back stitch. I have tried both stitches (practice) and the back stitch doesn't hurt as much. It is mainly the first knuckle behind the fingernail that is out of shape and I cannot bend the finger all the way. And I am right handed so the needle is in my right hand.

You always read "running stitch" and this is going to be a gift and I don't want to make a fool of myself, I don't want the Quilting Police on my tail, but yet I want to hand quilt if I can and if it has to be with a back stitch, will it cause any problems! I am making my thread about 18" long. Most of you nice people say that the real satisfaction of quilting a quilt is doing it by hand. I have done some by hand, but I want to do a big one, with a nice patterned quilting design. (I did get some templates (easy ones to start)).

Thanks in advance. GO VIKES! Edie
I learned it is best to do things the way they work for YOU! Just because one method works for some does not mean it will work for everyone.
There are several ways to make various blocks, that is OK! Flying Geese is a great example of that.
You made a quilting frame that works for you BRAVO! Have fun and don't worry about the quilt police!