Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 AM
sandpat
Power Poster

I think you can get it from anywhere on the internet...its not just sites geared to "us little women". Anyway...I am dealing with something I picked up from opening email stuff...you know the kind you think are funny, so you send it to everyone on your list.? Well...someone was "kind" enough (unknowingly) to send me something that has virtually shut down my computer. I will have to run the recovery discs and hope that that works. Otherwise, I now have an expensive paperweight.

But..the point is that during all my research on how to fix it...I found that there is a very good security program (better than the commercial ones-like McAfee-which drains resources from your computer) and best of all- its FREE! Its called Avast and you can download it from cnet.com.

Also..one of the problems that is slowing down everyone's computers is that we are so scared of these sites, that we load our computers with lots of security..we load a malware program, a registry cleaner, a security program with firewalls, etc. The truth is that is you are running Windows XP, or Windows 7...they have firewalls and security built into the programs. So you might want to check to see how much redundancy you have on your system if it is running really slow.