View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Aunt Retta

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by Prism99
The lip would need to be on the right side of the foot, wouldn't it?

The 1/4-inch feet I have seen typically just end at 1/4" or have a marking at the 1/4" point (something you could do yourself with a Sharpie or nail polish on a wide foot). I've tried both of these types and found they were not sufficiently accurate for me.

What I do instead is place a strip of thick moleskin on the base of my machine so I can butt fabric up against it. I put this on straight by first using one of my rulers underneath the presser foot, lowering the machine needle by hand so it is at a scant 1/4", lowering the presser foot, making sure the ruler is aligned straight from front-to-back, and then placing the moleskin by butting it up against the ruler.

(Moleskin can be found in the foot care section of a pharmacy. It comes with a paper-covered adhesive on one side. I prefer the extra-thick moleskin to regular; gives more height.)
I like the moleskin idea but wouldn't that get in the way if you are making garmets and need a 5/8" seam? Is it permanent? I use regular tape. You could also use sticky notes and make it as thick as you want to butt your fabric against and it can be removed.
These are great ideas, Nobody has mentioned anything about helps on that 1/4 inch seam and I have been struggling with it. I bet these ideas really help me big time!