View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
cathyvv

I was diagnosed with RA 20 years ago. Had suddenly felt like I had the flu on a Memorial Day weekend - except no congestion or upset stomach, but I severe chills at night, low grade fever, swelling feet, and miserable, ache all over feeling. After a month of that, I made an appointment to see a rhumatologist.

After 5 years of relatively benign treatment, no improvement and no joint deformity, I got a 2nd opinion. The second Rheumatologist did a bunch of tests (many were the same ones the first Rhumatolgist did) and told me I have fibromyalgia and, lucky for me, a controlled case of mixed connective tissue disorder - which is a combination of rhumatic diseases.

The only medication the 2nd dr changed was to add Elavil, a very cheap anti-depressant. Within a week of starting the Elavil, I felt so much better - it was like a miracle occured. Over the years I have had to increase the Elavil dose and change some meds to keep the fibromyalgia and mixed connective tissue disorder under control. I've gained weight from the meds, but feel the extra weight is worth not feeling like crap all the time.

Generally, though, I feel very lucky because I was on the verge of applying for disability when I saw the second Dr.

Talk to your dr about sleep medication to help you get some rest. I find that rest is absolutely essential to feeling better.

go to the arthritis foundation web site:

www.arthritis.org

to educate yourself on arthritis - there are over 100 kinds!

Hope you feel better soon!