View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

To answer some questions:

The moleskin isn't as good an idea if you are alternating between piecing 1/4" seams and sewing clothing (5/8" seams) often. I don't sew clothing anymore, so about the only time I remove the moleskin is if I have to repair clothing or want to machine quilt.

The presser foot does not need to be narrower than 1/4" if you have a machine with a moveable needle, as I do. I use my regular wide foot but move the needle to the right before placing the ruler under the needle, etc. for positioning the moleskin.

I would not use moleskin on my vintage featherweight; those finishes can be harmed by adhesives. Moleskin works great on my Bernina 1230 (and I imagine any machine with the newer hard plastic type finish). It is not a problem to remove it. If I ever did have a problem with some adhesive remaining, Goo Gone will take off the rest without marring the machine finish.

I happen to like moleskin because it is easy to cut into strips to have on hand, and because the adhesive is strong enough so the strip will not move once I have it in position. Another method I have not tried is to cut through painter's tape while it is still on the roll, about 10 layers deep, and using that thickness as the positionable guide. Still another way to do it is to use a stack of post-it notes. Moleskin has worked for me, so I haven't seen a need to try the other methods. Plus, I am so clumsy, I am afraid the painter's tape or post-it notes might shift position without my noticing.