View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 AM
leatheflea

After reading a post on here yesterday of a quilter that was frustrated by people wanting her to make quilts I started thinking. I too have been in that situation over and over again as I'm sure many of you have also. Hang in there with me I'll get to the point in a little while.
Do any of you remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaines contraception device "The Sponge" was being discontinued? She went on a big search for these things and found a whole case. Thats all she had to last her for what seemed to her forever. So before she would "use" one of these she would ask the other participant if he were "sponge" worthy and why he thought he was.
So this is where I get "Are you quilt worthy?" I spent hours of my life making these quilts, I shed blood, endure shoulder pain, neck pain, butt numbness, crossed eyes from concentrating on every stitch, and many hours researching on "The Quilting Forum" and you want me to just whip one of these babies out of my hindend for you. Most of the time I don't take requests for quilts, I've done 3 upon request outside of my family. One turned out not worthy. I got the quilt back after about 3 months, badly abused by the kitty, and smelling like the liter box. I washed it 3 times before I could begin the repairs. I still have this quilt after 2years and he wont get it back till he's worthy.
I think with owning a "homemade" quilt comes some responsibility. So before making and giving I ask myself is this person quilt worthy? I keep a mental application in my head. If you could give an application what questions would you ask? My first one would be ....Do you think it would be appropiate to line the liter box with my quilt?

Would love to here what you might add to the application.