Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 AM
quiltingmimipj

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I prefer handquilting and use a "big stitch" technique that resembles Japanese Sashiko. The thread is slightly thicker, the needle a bit larger (which helps me to hang onto the needle) and I use thread colors other than just white/ecru to add another dimension to the design of the quilt. These stitches are NOT toe-catchers; they are about 1/8" long. The look is quite attractive and I've had commission requests for the work and been in shows, so somebody must be loving it!

I've used #8 perle cotton - in the little balls, 10 wt. crochet thread, and, (my favorite) Premium Sulky Cotton 12 wt. thread which comes in lovely colors on a regular spool. The needle I use is a Richard Hemming Large Eye Between in size 3 or 5.

I knot the thread, wax the length of it with beeswax, make a tight knot, I insert the needle about an inch away from where I want the first stitch to start, and while giving a quick tug to the thread I run my opposite thumb nail over the knot and "pop" it into the fabric.

I quilt in a 16" hoop in my lap. I have never considered the stitch I do to be a "utility stitch," though it is perfect for those quilts made of Civil War reproduction fabrics. Quilts of that era were often done in a hurry to send with departing soldiers or done when there was a shortage of thread and goods, so the stitches were often larger.
I use a wool batt from Hobbs or Dream Cotton.
Wish I had close-up photos of a couple of mine to show you !
Jan in VA

Thank you for taking the time to write this marvelous information. Books that I have found that mention the Big Stitch have very limited instructions.

I wonder where I could find that particular needle.

I'm using red perle cotton from a small skein; I guess it is Number 5.

In South Mississippi, we don't need a wool batt. It's supposed to be 97 today.

One more thing -- how do you end your line of stitching? Just like regular hand quilting?