Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM
loopywren

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
There's a lot of wisdom and knowledge here on the board... and I need some advice and/or information from people who are outside the US.

We just got a very large ($350+) order over the weekend. The order is to be shipped to a freight consolidator in Miami, who ships to Central America.

If I understand correctly, a freight consolidator receives packages from many senders, and then "bundles" them together to ship to an international recipient. It's probably much more cost-effective to do it that way.

Readers of this post, have you ever used a freight consolidator, or do you know anything more about how they work? Is it "safe"? Meaning... if we ship to the consolidator, do you think it's quite likely that the customer will get her package?

The last thing we want is for an order this size not to reach the customer... because then it would come out of our own pocket (ouch)!
I have never heard of them but have just googled and find there are lots of them.. Would it be prohibitive to take out insurance so that if they didn't arrive you would be covered.