View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
mshawii

Originally Posted by Edie
I have my handy dandy JoAnn's PVC pipe quilt frame which I got from my husband for my birthday right here in the front room, where I plan to watch the Vikings beat the pants off whoever they are playing and start quilting my Star Sampler by hand. (It is a dandy invention this quilt frame!)

Anyhow, I have an arthritic index finger, right hand, and I am having a lot of trouble with a running stitch. Is there any law that says I cannot use a back stitch. I have tried both stitches (practice) and the back stitch doesn't hurt as much. It is mainly the first knuckle behind the fingernail that is out of shape and I cannot bend the finger all the way. And I am right handed so the needle is in my right hand.

You always read "running stitch" and this is going to be a gift and I don't want to make a fool of myself, I don't want the Quilting Police on my tail, but yet I want to hand quilt if I can and if it has to be with a back stitch, will it cause any problems! I am making my thread about 18" long. Most of you nice people say that the real satisfaction of quilting a quilt is doing it by hand. I have done some by hand, but I want to do a big one, with a nice patterned quilting design. (I did get some templates (easy ones to start)).

Thanks in advance. GO VIKES! Edie
Have you thought of using a thumb thimble? Your thumb is very strong, and I use one for Hawaiian quilting because I can quilt in all directions.