Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Any idea how that "due diligence" is performed?

Would the buyer have to peruse all the new fabrics by all the major players, just to see if they recognize it? Where could they see it? Online at the manufacturers' websites?

That won't be sufficient, if it's a design that's still in the strike-off phase as, at that point, it wouldn't even be visible "out there".

It's a hard issue, for sure! BTW I'm bringing this post to Moda's attention, in case they'd like to speak for themselves about it.

And... I wonder what *does* happen to those preliminary strikeoffs? Does anybody know? Do they get "destroyed", or sold as pound goods, or recycled, or... do they wind up for sale as "no-name" fabrics somewhere?
I think a buyer has a responsibility to know whom they are buying from, and to know and investigate where the goods are coming from.

There's more than one way to do "due diligence." You can and should do it on the seller as well as on the goods.

I know a lot of the original fabric strikeoffs go back to the manufacturer. They use them for display or for showing to retailers. Most of what you see for upcoming lines when you go to buying shows are first strikeoffs. After the buying shows, like Int'l Quilt Market, production is scheduled based on anticipated demand and show orders usually indicated what that is going to be. As far as seconds and misprints are concerned, where they go is anyone's guess, I guess... :mrgreen: