Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 PM
jitkaau

Originally Posted by sarahbelle
I am making a 'Candy Dots' quilt that I bought from KQ. I really like the fabric and how it is turning out. I knew that it was going to be lap size and I was ok with that..... what I am not ok with is how much waste their was with this pattern.

The pattern called for 2 Bali Pop packs (those aren't cheep).... but when i got done putting it together I had 28 10 1/2" sets of 3 strips sewn together, 8 strips not used and some 10" (and less) cuts from other strips.

In my book, this much waste is unacceptable. I have enough strips to make 7 (yes 7) more rows, but nothing to make the boxes (cause they are made from near solids, and there aren't any more). I can't supplement and make more boxes because of how random everything is. Also, because of the way it is put together, I can't add to the ends (the rows that start with strips start with a smaller length of strip).

Any ideas on how to use these extra strips so they dont go to waste?
Try making a colour wash quilt or a bargello,which are similar patterns in concept. You sew all of the strips together lengthwise so that you make a striped sheet of fabric. Then sew the sides together to make a tube. Place this tube of fabric crosswise in front of you and cut strips across the fabric so that you end up with bracelets of fabric that you can unpick in one spot and move up and down to create interesting patterns. When you are happy with your result (usually a stepped design) sew these new strips together and you have a new quilt.