View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

do not waste your little bit of funds to try to find an attorney, most of them do offer 1/2 hour free consultations where you can either go in or have a phone conference and find out if there is anything you can do. Unfortunately you will more than likely find there is nothing you can do.grandparents really have no rights! quite often our grown children make decisions and do things we think are terribly wrong, but they are adults with the right to make their own choices ... and live with the consequenses. and also unfortunately way too often there are children who pay for their parent's decisions. as a grandparent, all you can do is try to not alienate your daughter so she doesn't even want to have contact with you, and accept the things you can not change. stay as close as you can long=distance, little people LOVE getting mail, a special card, or note regularly can help him get through all the separation issues he will experience. letting them both know that no matter what happens you will always be there for them if needed is about all you can do. stay positive and hope for the best. maybe he(the new hubby) has family where they are moving to that will make up for his failings. i know from experience how hard it can be sometimes to stand back and let our grown children make mistakes....and i'm sure that you yourself probably made a decision or two that your parents were not too keen about as an adult. your best action at this point, after having that free consultation is to be positive and as supportive as you can, so your daughter knows, if and when it all falls apart that she still has home and a wonderful supportive mother to turn to who will not say...i told you so, but will be there with open arms relieved that everyone survived just fine.
the hardest part is going to be the kids missing each other, often youngsters feel like no matter what they will always have each other...maybe you could help them set up facebook pages, or some communication mode on the computer where they could be in contact with each other regularly, that part of this situation is the hardest part and i am sure she has not made the decision to separate the kids lightly.
good luck, and make a call or two.... you may be able to start with family court to find someone to talk to who specializes in this type of situation.