Old 09-21-2010, 03:14 PM
DoxieMom

I think this is a terrific idea! I know you'll get many wonderful ideas from other board members. Here are a few thoughts from the years I taught Adult Basic Education in adult congregate living facilities. The best advice I can give you is spend time getting to know the residents and let their interests and abilities guide you. Be flexible and remember why you're doing this. Consider bringing some electric machines in addition to the treadles. The treadle machines will probably elicit many valuable and entertaining memories, but the residents may not have the physical abilities to operate them (i.e. poor eyesight and insufficient leg strength). Use bright colors, simple designs and lots of contrast. Keep the pieces big and the projects small and manageable. Consider a group project that depends on the contributions of many. (We once made a fabulous mural of a Chinese dragon after I enlarged an outline picture from a Chinese menu and the residents made a gazillion small balls of wadded up crepe paper and pasted them on. It was gorgeous and they were so proud of it!) Include non-sewers. Residents that can't sew can contribute opinions about color and fabric combinations and share valuable memories. I’m so glad you’ve decided to do this! It will be a blessing for them and for you! You will be amazed by what you learn from them and it will be wonderful to stay close to Paw Paw!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay everyone pretty much knows that we had to put my FIL in a nursing home a few weeks ago. Well this place is in a small town and feels more like your grandmas home than what it really is. The place is full of love and caring folks and everyone just love living there including my FIL.

I was talking to the director and was asking if they have a quilting bee per se but they do not. Then my wife suggested that I start one for them and the director thought it was a brilliant idea. SO I am going to bring a couple of my treadles up there (Lord knows I have plenty) and I am going to work with the ladies and men who want to participate in it.

Now there is the thing that I am having a difficult time with......what are we going to make.

Now I know there are ladies up there that know so much about quilting and I am really looking forward to learning from them and I am also looking forward to seeing them use my treadles and bring back wonderful memories. :)

Other than this group I have never been in a quilting group much less taken a class a day in my life. I am like Eddie I just looked at a quilt one day and said "it cant be that hard" and there I go!!

So how would you guys handle something like this? I am not sure how many ladies will be participating but I plan on buying all of the materials and supplies and I am looking forward to reliving the good old days. This will also give me a chance to have an active role in the home and I can see Paw Paw more often than just once or twice a week. ;)

Billy