View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
eaglephotog

It definitely is Homer, Alaska. I've been there 4 times over the past 10 years to photograph them. Jean Keene started feeding them about 28 years ago before there were laws about feeding. She was grandfathered the right to continue with the feeding once laws were passed prohibiting feeding. She passed in ~Nov 2008 at which time it became illegal for anyone else to continue. However, one of the men helping her received permission to continue through March of 2009 because there was concern that suddenly stopping the feeding could mean starvation for some of the eagles. As of April 2009, the Homer City Council's ordinance prohibiting feeding went back into effect. I'm not aware of any studies taking place regarding the survival of the 200+ eagles that used to gather there, nor have I heard what effect there was to any eagles arriving in Nov 2009.

That said, there are eagles that winter in Alton, Ill and they do have an active eagle viewing (not feeding) program along the Mississippi River below a lock/dam. However, there are no 8,000+ ft high mountains in the visible area and the Mississippi River is only about 1/10th the width of Kachemak Bay at Homer, AK