Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Cordelia

For the new folks who haven't done a round robin before, I have some ideas. I'm currently doing a round robin now.

The idea is that you make your center 24 x 24 and the five other people in the group will place a border around it. And the center builds from 24 x 24. When I receive a center block that's 24 x 24, I'll put a 5" border around it and it will grow to 34 x 34. If I put a 4" border on it, it will grow to 32 x 32.

I didn't see any guidelines about how large the borders should be. A good rule of thumb is usually 4 to 5 inches per border. You can make a fancy 3" border and then place two 1" sashing strips on it that makes it 5". There's all kinds of things you can do. That will grow a 24 x 24 center into a very nice lap sized quilt.

Well, I'm the opposite of you, Terri and MJ. I have the center ideas, but haven't started to pull fabric yet. My question is this....how do I make a center pattern bigger?? I'm thinking I will play with some paper to see what size I need to be cutting. I'm certainly not smart enough to just figure it out and go because...of course the center looks better on point I'll think some more, then maybe let ya'll know what it says to cut...maybe you non math challenged folks can help
I do have a couple ideas for folks that aren't sure how to make their center large enough.

First, you can make your center block and build your own border around it to max it out to the 24 x 24. (I might do that myself.)

Or, you don't have to make your center block 24 x 24. That's a guideline limit, more or less. You can make your center 20 inches or 15 inches.

If I recieve a very small center block, I'd be inclined to enlarge the first border to max it out somewhat. We are using creative judgment along with following the guidelines.

Now, another thing folks can do is make four 12" blocks and sew them together to make up one 24" block.

An example of that would be what I did in the other thread.

Take some paper pieced block, make four of them, rotate and sew them together to make some kind of pattern: (Just an example.)

Or the other way
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15249[/ATTACH]

Make four of these
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15251[/ATTACH]

Sew them together one way
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15252[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15249.jpe   attachment-15251.jpe   attachment-15252.jpe