Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM
mzsooz

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I work at Wal-Mart and sometimes they have to do things they think would be good for the business and focus on what would be more profitable in the long run. Everyone here probably goes to or holds at least one party a year whether it be birthday, graduation, wedding, baby showers, or anything else that requires decorations, cards, gift bags, wrapping paper, party favors, napkins and cups, etc. If you take pictures than you might want stuff to scrapbook all of it. That's all the stuff they include in the Celebrations section. I think that's why Wal-mart would be phasing out the fabric section in favor of expanding the Celebrations because not everyone quilts or sews, but mostly everyone goes to parties that needs supplies or want to make photo or scrap books of those moments. I know...it sucks. I hate that Wal-Mart got rid of our fabric section not long after building the Super Wal-Mart across the street. I either have to go to the quilt shop here in town (her shop is small so she doesn't have a large selection to choose from) or wait until someone goes to La Crosse or Eau Claire and go to Hancock's or JoAnn's.

I don't like how some people on here have said that Wal-Mart is all about the money. True in a lot of aspects, but not always the truth. Our Wal-Mart has donated over 6,000 lbs of food to the community this year. Off the top of my head they donated $1000 to Boys and Girls Club and I think $2000 to the "green" school as well as smaller donations like to the library, the highschool's FFA club, a couple baseball teams, etc. Wal-Mart's involved with the Children's Miracle Network which raises funds for children's hostpitals. When employees donate enough of their time to volunteer work, Wal-Mart will make a donation to that organization...as a result, last year Wal-Mart gave a $2000 donation to Project Christmas, a group that collects donated food and presents to give to the less fortunate (can't remember how many employees and how many hours they put in).

Sorry to get all preachy, but I don't like it when people make the company I work for to be an evil cooperation when they've given a lot away for charity.
Thank you for posting this. I am a former WM employee and frankly I'm getting sick of all the WM bashing that goes on this board. I'm on the brink of leaving the board over it. Why does everything posted on this board have to turn into a controversial topic? :(