Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

Originally Posted by Loretta
I'm proud of you that you can anything with such a young family. But those fruits will taste good next winter. And it will be so much more fun getting them off your shelf than going grocery shopping! LOL
Thanks, Loretta. It does feel good to be recognized. Some don't really know the work that goes into this stuff! Some people think I'm crazy.

My Mom has canned every year, so I grew up with it. :) When I got old enough, I helped. I remember one year when I was probably 14?, I had been helping Mom can peppers. I don't know if she was pickling them or making salsa or putting them in tomatoes, but I know I ate 3 or 4 big hot banana peppers as we were working them up. They weren't hot at ALL! YUMMY! (I LOVE HOT STUFF, BTW) Mom told me if I helped her get the rest of her stuff going, she'd let me go to the fair with my best friend. :D
So, I helped and ate peppers. About 30 minutes after I ate those peppers, they kicked in and started burning! I thought I was absolutely going to DIE! I ate bread, butter, ice, everything. NOthing helped. I got sick. I thought I wasn't going to be able to go to the fair. I eat hot stuff all the time and have ever since I can remember. I mean, the HOTTEST stuff you ever thought about....and those peppers were like a sweet pepper when I ate them. That is one memory that is still bright and fresh! WHEW!

Anyway, I've canned since I moved away from home. I only can about 1-2 bushel of tomatoes (alone, minus the peppers...not counting any other veggies like corn, beans, etc.) each summer since I've had kids. I was up to 4 bushel of tomatoes alone before I had my first!
My DH bought me a bushel of green beans the year my son was born...he was about 3 months old...I wasn't sure I'd get anything done, but I got 'em!