Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
cathyvv

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Here are the comments that I just sent to Walmart:
It is my understanding that Walmart is planning on closing the fabric departments in all or most of their stores over a period of time. I sincerely hope that this is not true. Many of us in rural, outlying areas depend on Walmart for all of our fabric and sewing needs. Not only does Walmart carry a good selection, the quality has continued to improve. I purchased fabric, patterns, notions, other quilting and sewing supplies, as well as yarn on a regular basis from Walmart. Not only for my personal sewing and quilting, but also for charity quilts that I make.

If the fabric section of my Walmart store closes, I will have to travel about 60 miles to get to the next closest fabric store. In addition, when I come in for fabric I always buy other merchandise as well. When I no longer have the draw of the fabric section to draw me in to the store and I am traveling to a large city for my fabric, the other purchases will end up being made elsewhere as well.

The impacts of the alleged closures, due to lack of access to decent quality/affordable fabrics and related supplies, are: 1)personal - I won't be able to sew as much or as often; 2)community - I won't be making as many charity quilts; and my overall shopping at Walmart will significantly decrease.

If it is due to lack of robust sales in this department, it may be that there hasn't been targeted marketing...Walmart, in our area, doesn't do any advertising for fabric, and certainly has not tooted it's own horn about the improving quality of fabrics and sewing supplies.

Please, if this is the direction that Walmart is planning to take, rethink this decision. Do some outreach to local sewing/quilting guilds and find a way to continue to serve those of us in otherwise underserved areas.

Thank you.
You are so right about marketing fabrics in Walmart. There is NONE. Have never seen a fabric ad in their flyers and never seen a sale sign in their fabric section. It's like the department never existed.

One thing that I have noticed is that their fat quarters and jelly rolls are VERY reasonably priced. At least that is something.

WM is also selling 5 yard bolts, but fabric is of undetermined origin, and, so far the ones I've seen are butt ugly.

I wonder if we organized a 'boycott Walmart' day for quilters, whether they would notice the decrease in sales. Now it's happening on a onesy/twosy basis, so probably our departure isn't noticed.