Thread: Pins or Spray?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM
jitkaau

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have never used the basting spray before and wanted to get some advice. I bought basting spray for my next quilt buy am hesitant. I have always used pins to baste. Is it as easy as it sounds and does it really hold the layers together? I guess i am concerned with chemicals on the fabric. What are your thoughts?
I use basting spray all of the time. I generally buy the cheapest one on the market and have never had a problem. The only precautions I make: Spray in a well - ventilated area, protect the area surrounding the quilt (I generally use paper), wear a mask and don't start quilting until 24 hours after you have put the sandwich together. That way, the glue does not gum up anything. I generally do a few long basting lines across the quilt and down the quilt before I start to quilt, just to make sure everything stays square. They are easily pulled - out before I put the binding on.
p.s. It is best to use cotton or wool batting, as I think that the spray could tend to melt the synthetic stuff. You should spray on the fabric and not the batting if you are using the synthetic variety.