Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Elizabeth A.

Wow, I like how these fabrics are comming together.

Let's see. First after you make a square it helps to cut the "dog ears off" that's the pointy part stitcking off your half square triangles in your first picture.

Like Elle said "pin" this is very important, when I began I didn't pin, but I learned that it really helps to keep you square and lined up.

Are you using a 1/4" foot? These seem to really help also. I hated that the answer was to spend money, but in this case it's worth it, just be careful which one you get because mine doesn't make quite enough contact with my feet dogs so it's hard to get it started and then it will try to slip if I don't watch.

Some people recomend the guides, but as I make two bias square triangles at a time (cut two squares draw a line over the middle and sew 1/4 down both sides of the line then cut apart down the line), I thought the guide would be much more of a pain than a help.

I know you're trying to use the templates, and I've found sometimes it really helps to make them 4" say instead of 3 7/8" and then trim them to the correct size after they are sewed.

There is no such thing as to hard for a beginner. I PROMISE! You want it you'll make it. :twisted: The end.

If you're having trouble with your overall block measurements not being the same, don't worry you can "square them" to be the same size when you're done making the blocks, no big deal. Please note, do not square as you go! When you're done with your blocks measure ALL of them and cut to the smallest one.

Your points don't have to be exact. Think of it this way. Aim for perfection and pick out anything that will make you crazy when you look at the finished project. No "I should have ripped that" just dig in and get the seam ripper out. Completed projects draw the eye to the whole not to the one corner that didn't line up exactly right.

And everytime you need boistering, come here. :D