Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Mattee

Something else to think about: what will set you apart? There are a lot of online fabric shops out there. What is it about yours that will lead people to patronize it instead of the shops they are used to? I also don't mean to discourage you, but I recommend you think long and hard about this, because a lot of people (IMO) don't really give this idea enough consideration, and they just expect customers to appear once they've set up their business.

I also recommend your local community college for classes. It's a legit way to get some good education for your money, rather than a scam on the net.

I know that people have poor credit histories for a large variety of reasons, especially these days, but I also recommend giving some strong consideration to how much debt you should take on to start a small business. There are (usually) good reasons why it is difficult to find financing if you have a poor credit history.

I know you mentioned wanting to know someone of means that could do without some money for 5-10 years, but the reality is that with many small businesses, the startup money is never recouped. That's something to give some serious consideration to.

If you don't mind my asking, given how much help you seem to be aware you need, what prompted your desire to do this?

I wish you the best of luck!