Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Candace
Stacey, I think most people would only be able to afford an all over pattern. Anything fancier, and the cost would be too high for those just wanting a few tops done.
(snippage happened)
One of the busiest longarmers I know does not do any all over patterns at all. She says they're ugly and boring. She's not cheap but she's always booked for a solid year out.

I think claiming "most people" for anything is generalizing.

If you're good enough the business will be there. It takes major practice and it takes going to classes and learning new techniques once in a while to get good enough to charge more.
Of course I'm generalizing!
The trouble with generalizing is it's usually wrong for as many people as it's right for.

"Survey says" the quilt survey said the "average" quilter is affluent. Which means they can afford to have their quilts quilted and pay for "fancy" quilting.

So, saying "most people would only be able to afford an all over pattern." the operative word being "most" is probably wrong. If you said "some" instead of "most" you'd be correct. And of course some people can't afford longarm quilting at all.

It's going to depend a whole lot on the area you're in. Does the area have a large guild? Does it have a strong quilting tradition? Is it a poverty stricken area?

Those are just the beginning of the questions you need to ask yourself to start a longarm buisness.
I guess I'm not in the habit of "nit picking" every word someone writes on a forum. Sheesh.