View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
mosaicthinking

The weekend before last I went off to a class at the Australian Quilters Association's weekend symposium. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ausquilt/memberservices/symposiums.html

Those ladies sure know how to put together a well run event. I even won a door prize at morning tea, so felt especially lucky.

I went to a class called perfecting circles by Margaret McDonald. It was a skill builder class and circles are tricky, so we didn't have a huge output. This Saturday I finished my homework and my first ever spiral block is now done.

I'm ashamed to say the hand stitching is visible in the middle so I'll eventually applique a little 'hub cap' in the middle. I'm thinking about building lots of borders around it in the style of the fantastic IRR posts that I've seen on this board, as they're so inspirational.

The photo shows the spiral blocked on my home-made portable pressing mat, which my DH and I put together before the class. The June Taylor pressing mats cost a small fortune in this country and I'd rather spend my money on fabric.

Spiral from M McDonald's Moonbeams Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102084[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-102079.jpe