Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
mpeters1200

I call myself an advanced beginner quilter. My first experience with a sewing machine was in my first, and only, quilt class. I haven't been able to learn how to sew yet...though I love all the steps I've taken to become a better quilter. I have a bit of a problem though....

I found a nice Butterick pattern for a notions caddy that you can take with you. I searched for caddies here, actually, and looked at each thread. Some had the caddies you put on the table and put your machine on top of, but I really couldn't understand the directions well. There was one that was quilted and you use it as a tote, like for a retreat or whatever, but it looked like a suitcase. I found this really nice one at Butterick, but I have no idea how to make it.

It has printed pattern pieces on it and you enlarge them and cut them out of your fabric....so here is my list of questions. I feel like I'm brand new again...I am so confused.

1. So once I print out the pattern pieces, do I put it on the right side of the fabric or the wrong side?
2. What on earth is bias tape and how does it work. Wouldn't it just be better to bind the dang thing like you would a quilt?
3. Do you stretch elastic when you put it in? Do you sew it right down the middle?
4. When making a thicker backing with a piece of batting in it, should I quilt it to make it look pretty, or will quilting it sew all the pockets shut?

I'd like to make this for my small club's Christmas party this year. But I want to make sure I really know what I'm doing first.

Why can't making a caddy for sewing accessories be more like quilting. I can understand quilting.