View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM
mpspeedy

Hi, Has anyone else had a problem with a Martelli rotary cutter. I purchased one at the Harrisburg show several years ago. The fact that the demonstrators were attractive young men had nothing to do with my purchase. I like the large blade and the handle that is shapped to protect my poor wrists. The problem is with much use the blade needs changing and it is impossible to remove the present one and put a new on in the cutter. I consulted a lady at a recent local quilt show who was selling them. The young men who sold me the cutter bragged about it never needing a new blade and then recommended that I purchase extra ones..DUH! She assured me that the blades would dull. She also confirmed my discovery that it was a left handed screw. Which is the opposite of how most things tighten and loosen which confirms that a man invented it. My husband who has been a machinist for 50 years couldn't remove the old blade either. The screw that is supposed to loosen to make possible changing the blade will not budge even with all of the tools in our garage. I tried to contact the company through their web site but it doesn't seem to do anything but advertize. Any suggestions?