View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM
IT_Nana

A couple of months ago my daughter asked me to make a quilt for my 3 yr old grandson. She picked the pattern (a picture downloaded from the internet) and the colors. I stewed over placement of the stripes for quite awhile and finally came up with one I feel comfortable with. She wanted to use the multi-stripe as the focal fabric so I made those strips wider and used it more often. I now have the strips sewn end to end and am ready to start sewing them together. However, I have a couple of questions I’m puzzling over:
1) My fabric varies in width from 38” (the solid red which I think probably shrank a lot) to 44”. Should I cut each strip to the correct width prior to sewing them together, or should I sew them all together with one edge lined up then cut off the excess on the other end?
2) Also, I plan to hand quilt this and was thinking of doing a stitch in the ditch along the stitching lines to separate each color. Would this be enough to keep the batting from shifting? The widest strip is 6”.

Thank you for your help!

Gunnar's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]106688[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106683.jpe