View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Ditter43

Originally Posted by momymom
I grew up in TN, and visited my DGM in the NC mountains quiet often. Tomatoes were maters, Tobacco was baccer. We drank sody pop, and sat on the couch. A paper bag was a sack. Poke was a salad, or a paper bag. Pot likker was the liquid in the bottom of the pot after you cooked your greens. Likkered up meant you were drunk. Wrenched means rinse. Over yonder could mean across the yard or 5 miles down the road. Gully washer is a heavy downpour. There are many more, I just can't "member" them.
I 'member all these too growing up in West Virginia. We played in the creek, lived in the holler and also would holler at someone a fur piece away. We kept pop in the frigadair, sat on the couch or davenport, had lunch at noon and supper later.
Things were flat as a flitter, a paper bag was a poke. Our underpants were step ins. When you were in trouble Mom was gonna skin your hide.Sometimes she would tan your hide or you would get a switching.
It would pour rain and get colder then a well diggers butt. We would warsh when we were dirty and a baby was a cute as a speckled pup.
I wish I could remember all the expressions I heard growing up. When I lived in Arkansas I heard a lot of the same expressions and a lot of different ones. It brings back a lot of good memories!!! :thumbup: :D