View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
pab58

The first quilt I ever made was a teddy bear quilt for my nephew. It had a large bear holding the strings to about 3-4 balloons and was machine appliqued. I then taught my little sister (she's 17 years younger than me) how to make a small Log Cabin "throw" for our mother -- my sister's idea, not mine. I didn't do anymore quilts for quite a while until I found myself on a committee to organize events and activities for the anniversary celebration of the church I was attending. It was the 100th anniversary of the church and the 50th anniversary of the school so I thought a quilt would be a nice touch and would be something many people could participate in constructing. Then I got the brillant idea to have it include 100 squares!! Well, I didn't get 100 individual squares. A few of us on the school staff designed and made large squares out of the leftover small squares for each of the four corners and one for the large square for the center. Pretty much any method was permitted for the block designs. Volunteers were given a white cotton square and the instructions regarding the block. Some were embroidered, others were painted with fabric paints or markers, a few were photos of the church, and a couple were appliqued. Each block was so unique. The quilt ended up being 100" x 100" (so I at least got in the number 100!), and I hand quilted that puppy in a hoop!! I had never done handquilting in my life! It was one of those moments when you ask yourself: "What in the world was I thinking?!" We hung the quilt on a wall of a wing off the sanctuary. I often wonder if that quilt is still there. :roll: Maybe I'll get brave and post a pic of that "beauty" sometime. :oops: