View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 AM
moonrise

Some of my friends and family are VERY, VERY Southern. I can be, especially if I'm around them, but I can usually make my accent disappear if I want. Usually. ;)

Some of the things they/we say are:

Coke. It's ALL Coke. Doesn't matter if it's a different brand or another flavor. :mrgreen:

I have a single male friend who "carries" girls out on dates. I bet his arms get tired! :lol:

DH's mom has played a game of "chest" a few times over the years. You know ... the game with pawns and knights and bishops? :mrgreen:

DH "warshes" his hands before he eats, and according to him, you "warsh" your clothes in "warshing powders".

"Y'all." (I'm guilty of that one!)

My dad runs off stray dogs by yelling, all in one word, "Gidonouttaheah!"

"Cent". Doesn't matter if it's one cent or fifty of them. It's still "fifty cent".

A "zapper" is a TV remote (I'm guilty of that one, too!). Or a "clicker". I've heard both.

Units of measurement or direction: "Tad", "smidge", "over yonder", "that a-ways"

The round fellow who comes by at Christmas is "Santy Claws".

That stuff in a river is "wadder". You'll also find "wadder" in a "crick".

"Kaint" ... as in "I just kaint believe this!"

"Agin" ... as in "Here we go agin!"

I've heard one girl refer to her kitchen lineoleum as a "rug". She often mentioned sweeping her "rug", and it took me forever to figure out what she meant. I always thought rugs were those fuzzy carpet-like things! :mrgreen: