Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Lori S

[quote=fancifrock]In speaking with many other hand quilters, we all feel that too much emphasis is being put on the longarm quilting. What ever happened to all the beautiful handwork that went with quilting. Many pieces that we see are pieced beautiful but all of that "quilting" is taking away from the real work that has been done. ]

I agree that hand quilting is an art form and one with a long tradition and have the highest respect for Hand quilters Long Arm quilting is also its own art form. Think about all of the inovations that have been made over the years! Sewing machines for one, without how many would have time to hand piece every quilt. Rotory cutters.. how many quilts would be sewn if all quilts had to be cut from templates. I still come across paritally cut quilts that never got to the sewing stage because someone lost interest ... or what ever. The walking foot and then the free motion foot, Fusibles, stabilizers..... I am always excited to see what may come!
I think all of the innovations have allowed more so much diversity in quilting that there truley is something for everyone. Having started quilting before the rotary cutter , I am excited everytime I go to a show or read a book , because this is a craft and art that will continue to evolve. We live in exciting times!