Thread: I'm a quitter
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Ramona Byrd

I forever bless my dear little hillbilly Grandma, who taught me the hard way to not smoke. Never, ever did, even though she herself smoked cigarettes and a pipe all her life.

Once when a cousin and I (both about 10 years old) were playing calmly together (a rare thing for us) she came up to us and out of the blue ordered us to never, EVER start smoking corn husks and corn silks. We agreed solemnly, and of course the minute she left we hied ourselves to the corn field and got some dried silks and half dry husks and made us some neat ciggies. We stole a match and set out behind the chicken house to savor the marvelous act of smoking like the grown ups did. Of course we started barfing up our last night's supper, and ran to the house for sympathy and medicine. All hard hearted Grandma would do for us was make us clean up the vomit from the kitchen steps, which brought on more of the heaves. If you have never done anything like that, you've missed one of life's best lessons in self control when next coming face to face with a cigarette.

I have never, ever been tempted to smoke in my life, and a conversation to my cousin a few years ago he said that he was also an abstainer. Gag. Snort. Gulp.