View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Beffy_Boo

This thread is a hoot (funny)! I grew up right by the submarine (as in Navy vessel) capital of the world so you certainly didn't eat subs, you ate grinders. When I went to college in VA they were hoagies. My grandpa put trash in the ash can. If it rained and the sun was shining my mom used to say "the witch is making butter" and a teacher once said "the devil's beating his wife." We used elastics to hold a group of things and blew our noses into tissues. My mother never bought fabric to make our clothes, only material. When I moved to Baltimore, pronounced Bawlmer and always followed by Hon, I learned that their former football team was not the Colts but the Coats and their baseball team is not the Orioles but the Oreos. For vacation people go downey ocean (Ocean City). A co-worker asked me to "ride [him] to the other office" instead of give him a ride (at first I respectfully declined). Took a while to realize that a dugg is a 4 legged creature often named Rover or Max. There instead of being scared you get skerd. My DS's girlfriend from VA calls a toilet a tallit (which just makes me LOL). I'm living in NM now and it drives me crazy when people say they are going to "chunk it out" instead of throw it out (in CT we chucked things out) and insist that he did it hisself and they did it theirselfs. Folks around here are always fixin' to do something. They also drink allcohol instead of alcohol. Having been a Navy wife I've lived a few places and learned the differ'nt ways of speaking via the jeopardy/wheel of fortune method...hints and context. I love our language! Now I'm fixin' to make a grinder with some cold meat (stuff you buy at the deli counter for sandwiches), chunk the garbage in the ashcan and see if I can find some highlights of an old Coats game, hopefully one where Johnny Unitas hisself is playing.