View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
oldswimmer

Originally Posted by Robinlee
I grew-up in 4-H, started when I was 7years and my kids whom were raised in town were also in 4-H. And just to clear something up, from finishing a degree in Home Ec and art......and presently an Extension Educator, 4-H isn't just for country and farm kids. You won't believe how many city kids do participate in 4-H (check out Chicago and New Your). As the old saying goes, 4-H isn't just sewing and cooking, cows and horses anymore. 4-Her's learning about technology, finiance and starting your own business. And to top it off.......there are loads of music artists, a couple presidents and other famous people who were in 4-H. 4-H is "learn by doing", and as someone else said "4-H is in my blood". 4-H and their "after school" programs will teach the needed area's that schools neglect and money is short.
I also took Home Ec's in school and when in Jr and Sr year I assisted with teaching topic of the day, many times. I knew then, that this was going to be my area in college and masters.
Just need to get some of this off my chest...........
I second this... I am also a "retired" from Extension... but not 4-H. Still a leader and volunteer in our programs.