View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
gramma8

Originally Posted by NancyG
I learned to sew in 4-H. I loved it. We had a "dress review" once a year where we could model what we made and we were judged and we got ribbons i.e. blue, red, white. I think I started with an apron and then progressed on to full 3 piece outfits. So much fun, and a skill/hobby that has lasted me a lifetime.
You brought back many memories; my first 4-H leader in sewing. The apron was my first projects also and we showed it at the "review" during the county fair. I don't remember getting a grand prize or anything, but I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Then, there was sewing in Home Economics in high school. Then marraige after high school where I put to use my knowledge of sewing for my husband first and then my boys. The quilting came when my boys starting getting married. AND I'm still quilting for my extended family.
Oh yes - I just remembered - when I first started sewing in 4-H I was working at home on my mothers treadle machine and I actually sewed my finger! Punctured the nail and everything! My grandmother was visiting and came to the rescue. I had a sore finger for a while but it didn't stop me from sewing. :)